Have you ever cooked with a Pie Iron? Mine is made of cast iron and designed to cook over a fire. We make Pizza Pies and Fruit Pies with ours. You will not believe that the Pizza Pies are made with bread and butter for the crust when you taste them. Add the sauce, cheese, pepperoni and you will have a delicious pizza!!! Great for the people that love to camp or people like us that like making a fire in our backyard but most of all perfect for anyone that loves pizza!
This is our Pie Iron.
It opens up into two pieces.
Heavily butter one side of two
pieces of regular white bread.
Place one piece of bread, buttered side
down, on one side of the pie iron.
Place pizza sauce on top of the bread.
Sprinkle on some shredded cheese.
Top with pepperoni.
Place the other piece of
bread on top, butter side up.
Close the pie iron then scrape off the
excess bread with a knife or it will burn.
Place the pie iron over the flame of the fire.
Make sure you turn over the pie iron cooking both
sides. It won’t take long to cook and you need to check
it frequently by separating the two pie iron pieces.
When the bread is golden brown
on both sides it’s ready to eat. Open the
pie iron and drop the pizza onto a plate.
Slice in half to cool then serve.
Pie Iron Pepperoni Pizza
- white bread, 2 pieces per pizza
- butter, softened
- pizza sauce
- shredded Mozzarella cheese
- pepperoni, sliced thin
- Heavily butter one side of two pieces of bread. Place one piece of bread, buttered side down, onto the inside of the pie iron.
- Place pizza sauce on the bread, sprinkle on the cheese and top with the pepperoni.
- Place the other piece of bread on top, buttered side up.
- Close the pie iron and scrape any excess bread from the outside of the pie iron or it will burn.
- Place the pie iron over the fire turning over to cook on on both sides. It will not take long to cook.
- Cook until both sides are a golden brown, checking frequently so it doesn’t burn. If it sticks when you open it, use a knife to release the pizza from the iron. Both sides will be crimped together, sealing in the pizza sauce, cheese and pepperoni.
- When golden brown on both side, open the pie iron carefully and drop onto a plate.
- Slice in half then serve.